Lately, I’ve received a few direct messages on B&B & insta asking about my daily makeup routine. To be honest, I don’t wear a ton of makeup so today I’ll be sharing my routine plus asking for a few of your recommendations! I don’t always wear all of these products all at once but this is what can be found in my everyday makeup bag.
- First I start with Drunken Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Gel. I actually JUST started using this a week or so ago & I am loving it. The hype about Drunken Elephant is so legit. Have you tried it? What other D.E. products do you swear by?
- Then I layer on Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer. I love this product because it’s so lightweight but evens out any discoloration or minor blemishes.
- Under my eyes, I use Clinique Line Smoothing Concealer and blend with everyone’s fav, the Beauty Blender.
- For bronzer, I do a few sweeps of Clinique’s True Bronze Pressed Powder across my skin and then top with one of my two favorite blushes.
- For my skin tone, I love using Nars Blush in Orgasm OR…
- Clinique’s Blushing Blush in Precious Posy I think both of these shades work nicely across all skin tones & have the teeniest bit of shimmer in them.
- For eyes I love using Laura Mercier’s Caviar Sticks. If I’ve had a late night out, I use the matte version in Blossom under my bottom lashes instead of eyeliner or if I want drama, I’ll use Amethyst as eyeliner and/or shadow.
- When I do use eyeliner, I use, Maybelline Eye Master Studio Precise Liquid Eyeliner in black. You can grab it at any drug store or Ulta, which is great if you’ve recently remembered you’re out!
- As you guys know, I LOVE lipstick. All different colors and I usually share them here or on insta-stories. But lately, my go to red has been Nudestix in Royal. I am obsessed with the color and wear. If you’re on the fence about buying new lipstick without really trying, you can get this smaller version at Sephora to take it for a test run.
- For nudes, I actually like to wear just the liner pencil of Kylie Jenner’s lipkits. My go to is Candy K with just a teeny bit of clear gloss over it if it starts to feel too dry.
- I also keep this Glossier balm dotcom handy at all times. It’s great if you need a little clear gloss or if you are just in need of chapstick.
- This is the product I get most questions about. Mascara. I LOVE Lancome’s Grandiose Extreme Mascara. Don’t get me wrong, this mascara is THICK. The first time I used it, it felt almost like tar coming out of the tube however it goes on perfectly and stays put. I have a hard time because I have longer lashes and they sometimes rub against my skin and leave marks under my eyes and by my eyebrows. This mascara stays put and really makes your lashes pop, they look so long and full every time I use it.
- If I end up adding highlight, I use Mary Lou Manizer from The Balm for shimmer on my cheekbones & brow bone & cupid’s bow.
What favorite beauty products do you swear by? I’d love to know what you guys love for highlighter and even under eye concealer! Send me all your recommendations!
Happy Thursday & Happy February! January felt like a very. long. month. Anyone else already planning their weekend? Sharing a few things from my week if you need a little pre-weekend pick-me-up.
in havana, one of my fav trips!
People often ask me how I’m able to travel as much as I do (if I could do it for a living, I would!) but really, I just try to maximize vacation time & keep my eyes peeled for flight deals! I love these helpful hints on Cupcakes & Cashmere for those of us who work full time but still want to maximize our vacas! Another two tips I’d add if you travel often for work, first of all, bank ALL your airline miles. If you end up flying an airline you don’t currently have a mileage account for, sign up! Secondly, if you’re traveling for work, ask if it’s okay to extend your trip, or fly out early! It’s a great way to spend some time in a new city.
Okay, I posted this picture on Insta a few days ago but the biggest notable tidbit here are these lips. On a whim, I picked up a small tin of three shades of Nudestix in the Sephora checkout line (that always gets me.) I’m not kidding you when I say I LOVE the way it wears. Definitely looks like a matte but is very hydrating plus, I went the whole day (lunch & some snacks + tea) with only one minor touchup! I am loving the colors and if you don’t want to order directly from their site, you can find limited color at Ulta or Sephora. If you’re loving the red I’m wearing in this pic, it’s “royal.”
I’m currently working one of these books within this list but if you’re anything like me you love to read the book before it becomes a movie. Here are the books you’re going to want to read before their movies come out this year!
<clearly adjusting well to hygge in my fav pajamas>
New year, new me? To be honest, I’m not huge on resolutions. I like the idea of a “refresh” button but who’s to say that can’t happen in June or September? Either way, if you’re reevaluating this January (or February…. or March), here are a few resolutions we all should be making.
- Schedule your yearly physicals with your doctors. When I moved, I didn’t get a PCP right away and eventually found myself making excuses or feeling like I couldn’t take time off work. Bad. The saying is true, we’re nothing without our health. Check in with your PCP, dermatologist and ladies, your OB-GYN. If you have questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to ask. In fact, come with questions! “Does this mole look normal?” I promise you’re not the first person to ask whatever is on your mind.
- Adapt the Danish concept of Hygge. Hygge can simply be defined as enjoying life’s simple pleasures; a cozy contentment. Everyone has something that recharges their batteries, for some it’s a slow Saturday morning or cozy night in with friends. The point is to gain energy from taking joys in the simple things; try to schedule your self some hygge once a month.
- Identify a bad habit & try to break it. Even if you only do this once in 2018, you’ve broken one bad habit. For me, it was looking at my phone before going to bed. The blue light was affecting my sleep pattern and frankly, we don’t always need to be connected. I’ve supplemented that time with enjoying a hot cup of tea and reading for at least 30 minutes before bed. I haven’t been able to do that ritual every single night, but it’s something I look forward to and I’ve definitely found it easier to disconnect.
- Be more productive. Whether it’s at work, in the gym, working on your side hustle, whatever it is, push yourself to out of your comfort zone. I promise you will find yourself feeling rewarded by staying motivated.
- Monitor your progress. It’s so easy to get bogged down in remembering the things you aren’t doing, but so important to remember the small victories. Did you make it to the gym on the day you were really tired? Good for you! Did you break a bad habit? Good for you. Don’t forget to relish in the small victories. The (wine) glass is half full!
- Know you can do anything, just not everything. There are many times where I find myself overcommitted. Stressing yourself out by agreeing to do too much or putting my efforts in several different areas; it doesn’t allow creativity or time to let your brain rest. Your parents weren’t kidding when they said you could do anything, but you can’t truly succeed if you’re putting bits of yourself towards different goals. Pick one, work like hell and achieve it… then move onto the next one.
- Remove yourself from toxic situations. Not to mince words, cut down on the drama. If you find yourself in a toxic relationship with a friend, remove yourself. If you find yourself in a toxic situation, remove yourself. No one should ever rob you of your energy.
- Make a new healthy habit. I know it’s trite to say “get healthy” as new year resolution. However, I challenge you to make a new healthy habit & stick to it. Maybe for the overachiever, it’s practicing self-care. Maybe it’s to incorporate a green vegetable into a daily meal or try that spin class you’ve been nervous to try.
- Stay informed. As circumstances have it now, news changes in an instant. Thanks to our socially connected lifestyle, it’s easier than ever to stay informed. Being informed is integral. It’s important to know the facts when it comes to voting, social action and beyond. At very least, sign up for The Skimm, it’s a great place to start.
- Be a little bit kinder. The world is in a weird place right now. Having a little extra patience or the desire to pay it forward can only benefit all of us.
Happy 2018 AND Friday! The last few months of 2017 were a complete whirlwind so I’m feeling especially grateful for a slower start to what will be a fantastic and equally as busy year!
bed // cableknit throw
I hope you had a fantastic holiday and welcomed the new year the way you wanted to. I spent the majority of the holiday at home in Ohio and celebrated the new year with friends over a (very chilly) ski weekend.
I’m sharing a few outfits pre- bomb cyclone snow storm as well as some others that I’ve received questions about.
shirt // black pants // shoes // bag, similar here // sunnies
sweater // jeans similar here // sunnies // loafers
Sam Edelman shoes // envelope clutch // sunnies- Ralph Lauren, similar here //scent //
pom keychain, similar here// lipstick – custom color from Bite Lab
I was so happy to be home in Ohio for Christmas. My mom ALWAYS outdoes herself with our Christmas tree…
// perfect winter sleep shirt //
On our way to New Years, I posted this hat on my instastories, I got a TON of inquiries about where it was from…
hat // sweater// scarf
hat // vest // sweater, similar here
I hope you’re bundled up for the chilly weekend we’re in for, I’ll be sharing an awesome Italian chicken recipe that guarantees to warm you up on Monday, so stop back!
Finally! Thursday! I don’t know about you guys but I am SO ready for the weekend. After having a bug for the last ten days- I am finally feeling back like my regular, healthy self.
When I started to get sick, I stopped into my neighborhood Le Pain Quotidien and ordered their hot Honey Lemon Ginger. It was the perfect warm up from the chilly winter air and immediately soothed the tickle in my throat; it’s no secret that the three ingredients are packed full of health benefits. Fully knowing I wouldn’t be able to sustain my obsession, I attempted to make it at home… at it worked! It should be noted that I never really measure anything but just ballpark it, you can always even out the flavor once you try it.
1 cup water
knob of fresh ginger, about an inch depending on how prominent you want the flavor
After I posted a few of our engagement photos
, I got a lot of questions about my this outfit but especially my tulle skirt
. Truth is, I love dressing up a tulle skirt and in fact, I couldn’t find a top I loved, so that’s actually a dress. I’ve linked a few tulle skirts below that (some) may or may not be hiding in my closet.
Two weeks ago we visited some of our best friends in Pittsburgh. We hadn’t been back since Dave moved but it was great to revisit some of our favorite spots and even try a few new (amazing) places. I think we ate our way through the entire city!
Dinner at DiAnoia’s
– I highly recommend their gnocchi and of course, prosecco on tap
How are the holidays coming along for you guys? Did you wrap up your shopping? I’m still finishing off a few things but tonight we’re seeing The Nutcracker, so I suppose it will just have to wait.
Want to follow along? As always, follow me on Instagram 🙂
Has anyone else been thrown off all week? I woke up Tuesday morning, thinking it was Wednesday & my days have been mixed up ever since. But we’re here! Thursday! Finally.
Tuesday night I took a calligraphy class with the very talented Crafted by Anamarie. I have always loved calligraphy & thought it would be a fun girls night. Anamarie is so talented & incredibly helpful throughout the entire class. While I have a lot of practicing ahead of me, the letters are starting to build muscle memory, so here’s to hoping for a lot of lovely lettering in the next year! She also teaches chalkboard lettering classes as well. You can catch her in NYC or Stamford. Sign up here, you won’t regret it.
I think part of my day-of-the-week mix up can be attributed to not getting a great night of sleep. Sleep is such an important factor regarding our health & wellbeing but let’s face it, sometimes eight hours just can’t happen. Here are ways to make it through those long days after a bad night’s sleep.
Truth be told, the saying of “A Sunday Well Spent, Brings A Week of Content” really hits home for me. I love nothing more on Sundays to be in the kitchen, cooking, prepping food for the week or (embarrassingly enough) reorganizing the cabinets. It brings me a sense of solace. While I plan meals for the week, Sunday’s meal is usually a game time decision. Ravaging through odds & ends of what’s leftover married to a few of my kitchen staples. This week, we ended up with quite a delicious pizza. Plum & Prosciutto. I’m sharing the recipe (I use that term loosely as I admittedly never measure anything) below.
Plum & Prosciutto Pizza
What You’ll Need:
Stonefire Naan Bread
3 Plums (I used three smaller, European plums)
(teeny bit of) Balsamic Glaze (I made my own, but this one is great to keep in your cupboard)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place naan bread onto baking sheet and add sliced mozzarella onto naan. If you don’t have access to fresh mozzarella, shredded would work, too. Grate some gruyere over top of the mozz and place in the oven for the cheese to melt, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven and add quartered or halved plums (depending on size) as well as a few slices of prosciutto. Place back in oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the cheese is nice & melted, remove pizza from oven and sprinkle with balsamic glaze. Add arugula to the top of the ‘za and…
Glossier. Over the weekend I stopped by the Glossier Showroom in NYC & picked up two of their lip colors: Jam & Crush. The store is as simply elegant as the rest of their campaign. I love these lipsticks because the color adapts to your own pigment, so each color looks different on every person. It has a creamier feel to it but appears matte after application. The lipstick itself appears more natural than a lot of other lipsticks I own, which is great when going for a less “done-up” look. I also cannot wait to try their other products!
This week, for the first time, I dropped into Pink Soda, a great new blowout bar & full beauty salon in Stamford. I got their signature blowout which took only 45 minutes & lasted the whole weekend! Highly recommend.
It’s no secret I love a good sweet treat. I contacted Hayleycakes and Cookies for these incredible Beyonce themed bachelorette cookies. Just following their Instagram makes me want to become a baker- though I could never even fathom having that much icing talent. Spoiler alert: the cookies taste even better than they look.