Alright..listen, I know these look like scary biscuit-scones (biscones?) and nothing like Jessica Merchant’s perfectly round biscuits but these Blueberry Cream Cheese Biscuits are de-lish. Like most of my favorite recipes, this is from one of How Sweet Eats cookbooks and this time it’s Pretty Dish.
What You’ll Need:
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 ounces cold cream cheese
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces
1 1/4 cups cold buttermilk
2/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
6 tsp unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
The How To:
- Preheat the oven to 425°f.
- To make the biscuits: in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Add the cream cheese and butter and use a fork or your hands and mix for almost 5 minutes. Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Stir with a large spoon until just combined. Fold in the blueberries. Use your hands, if needed, to bring the dough together. I did.
- Pat the dough into a circle that is about 1 1/2″ thick. This will make tall biscuits. Using a biscuit or cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds and place on a nonstick baking sheet. You may need to bring the dough together and flatten it more to get the last few biscuits. Alternatively, you could just drop large spoonfuls of batter on the baking sheet and form them that way.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden and high. Let cool before serving.
- To make the vanilla butter: In a bowl, mis the butter, vanilla bean paste and salt until combined. Serve spread on warm biscuits. You can keep this at room temperature or store in the fridge for a few days.
Hope you guys enjoy these as much as I did!