Happy Monday! We’ve officially made it through our first full week of 2018. We were feeling the effects of the bomb cyclone most of the weekend so I made this delicious Italian chicken and veg skillet with what I had in the fridge. Last week I was still fighting off remnants of a bad cold, so I wanted to make something packed with protein with fresh veggies but would also still feel like comfort food.
This Italian Chicken & Vegetable skillet is delish and & super simple to make. Highly recommend if you need something that reheats well for lunch, too!
(I used different colored cherry tomatoes, which created a yellow sauce versus a traditional red)
What You’ll Need
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 Tbsp. pesto
2 tsp. Italian seasoning, divided
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 small zucchini, diced
1 cup cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. chopped fresh basil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
grated parmesan cheese
The How To
- Season the cut up pieces of chicken with salt & pepper and place them in a freezer bag with the tablespoon of pesto, 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and minced garlic. Massage the mixture into the chicken and let it marinate for at least 15 minutes. *I prefer to let the chicken marinate overnight
- Heat skillet over medium heat and spray it with cooking oil.
- Add the marinated chicken to the hot skillet and sauté until thoroughly cooked, about 4-5 minutes. Remove the cooked chicken onto a plate.
- Once the chicken is removed, add in the zucchini, tomatoes & remaining teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Sauté until they start to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the chicken back into the skillet along with the cannellini beans, balsamic vinegar and basil. Stir everything together and taste for seasoning.
- Top with the shredded parmesan cheese, serve immediately & enjoy!